Check out this new report about U.S. wind energy potential. It will blow you away!
The Difference Wind Power is Making Today
Today, wind power provides over 4.5% of U.S. electricity nationwide, and over 20% in several states. Some of the exciting trends we’ve recently seen in American wind power include:
- Wind is reaching more and more families – Wind power has delivered a third of all new power capacity in the past five yeras, and a record number of new projects are under construction today.
- Wind is employing more and more Americans – Wind power has supported an average of 73,000 well-paying American jobs over the past five years and can create hundreds of thousands more with stable, common-sense policies.
- Wind power prices are coming down fast – In the past five years, the cost of wind power has dropped by over 50% — and is still decreasing!
Expanding Wind Power Will Help Us Tackle Some of Our Biggest Challenges
In tapping our homegrown wind resource, we will tackle some of our biggest challenges:
- Reducing air pollution by displacing dirty forms of energy with clean wind power. As we secure more of our power from wind, we will cut emissions of carbon, sulfur, and nitrous oxides, as well as particulate matter, which harm our health and environment. This would mean a $400 billion savings in climate change damages and an additional $108 billion savings on public health costs.
- Conserving our water resources by growing a source of power that requires little to no water. Using wind in place of power plants that require substantial amounts of water for cooling processes would cut total U.S. power plant water use by about one quarter, or 260 billion gallons, in 2050 alone.
- Creating high-paying American jobs in the manufacturing, construction, engineering, and transportation sectors, among others. American wind industry jobs would total 600,000 in 2050.
We’ll get there by reaching smaller targets along the way – including doubling the amount of power we get from wind in the next five years. That’s moving us up from securing 4.5% of our electricity from wind power nationwide today, to 10% by 2020.
The Power of Wind community will play a key part in creating this healthier country, by voicing support for the smart, fair energy policies that value clean power. One quick thing you can do today is make sure your elected officials see this report – please take a moment to send them a note today.
The Power of Wind community shares a vision of an America where every family has an easy, affordable way to power their home with clean energy.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s Wind Vision report gives a clear picture of how we can create that future. It shows that wind power can grow from providing over 4.5% of U.S. electricity today to 35% by 2050, becoming America’s largest source of electricity.