Yes, there is a huge dam of public anger about the way Duke Energy, NC DENR, and Governor Pat McCrory are dealing with cleaning up the North Carolina toxic coal ash pits. That’s why YOU should join hundreds of citizens from across the state and other Duke Energy service areas in calling for change. There will be two peaceful gatherings around the Duke Energy shareholder meeting. Email me at BillGupton1@gmail.com for more information or to volunteer.
Here’s how you can be a part of the flood of people calling on Duke Energy to clean up their act.
A number of organizations have been working on activities surrounding the Duke Energy annual shareholder meeting to be held in Charlotte. We would really like your help in getting the word out AND getting folks to come to our two major actions:
Light the path forward: Candlelight vigil to remember the impacts of coal ash
Wednesday, April 30th, the eve of the Duke Energy annual shareholder meeting
7:30 to 8:30 PM
New Duke Energy Headquarters, 550 South Tryon St, Charlotte, NC
Duke Energy Shareholder Meeting Rally and Press Conference
Thursday, May 1st
8:30 AM arrive and set up for 9:00 AM rally and press conference
Former Duke Energy headquarters, 526 South Church St, Charlotte, NC (location of shareholder meeting)
Here’s some ways that you can help:
- Candlelight Vigil
- Contact your personal house of worship clergy and ask them to attend the candlelight vigil. Email me their information so I can keep track of those attending.
- Reach out to the your contacts in the local faith community and ask other clergy to attend the vigil.
- Announce the vigil to your friends and networks via email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Plan to attend the vigil!
- Other ideas and suggestions welcomed – contact Emma Greenbaum <email@example.com> or me.
- Shareholder Meeting Rally and Press Conference
- Announce the rally to your friends and networks via email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Make signs and banners and plan to attend the rally.
- Proxies – If you have a Duke Energy proxy and would like to assign it so that someone can go inside the meeting, contact Kelly Martin <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Other ideas and suggestions welcomed!
If you are planning to bring a carpool of folks to the events, Sierra Club has some funds available to provide assistance. You will need to contact Kelly Martin and complete a form for partial reimbursement.
Spread the word and see you on April 30th and May 1st!