If you would like to become active in our political work, please contact our Political Chair Steve Copulsky.
Front row (left to right): Greg Phipps (District 4), Claire Fallon (At Large), Mayor Patrick D. Cannon, Patsy Kinsey (District 1), Vi Lyles (At Large)
Back row (left to right): LaWana Mayfield (District 3), David Howard (At Large), John Autry (District 5), Kenny Smith (District 6), Alvin Austin (District 2), Ed Driggs (District 7), Michael Barnes (Mayor Pro Tem)
CITY COUNCIL MEETING RULES
(First Monday) Council Workshop/Citizens’ Forum: Citizens’ Forum begins at 7:30 p.m. in Room 267.
- Unlimited speakers for citizens’ forum and can talk about ANY topic
- NO speakers allowed on agenda items, these are presentation to council only
- ALL speakers get three minutes each ONLY
(Second Monday) Business Meeting: Meeting begins at 7:00 p.m. in the Meeting Chamber.
- No Citizens’ Forum
- Speakers can ONLY address items on the agenda
- NO LIMIT on number of speakers per item
- NO LIMIT on the number of items a citizen can address
(Third Monday) Zoning Meeting: Meeting begins at 6:00 p.m. in the Meeting Chamber.
- Can ONLY address what is on the agenda
- Can ONLY speak to PUBLIC HEARINGS
- NO LIMIT to number of speakers per item
- NO LIMIT on number of items a citizen can speak to
- Be sure to include whether the speakers are FOR or AGAINST because this will dictate the amount of time each individual gets to speak.
- If everyone is FOR then the speakers share 3 minutes to speak
- If there is at least one AGAINST then speakers will share 10 minutes to speak
(Fourth Monday) Business Meeting/ Citizens’ Forum: Citizens’ Forum begins at 6:30 p.m. in the Meeting Chamber
- Limit of 10 speakers for Citizens’ Forum
- First come first serve
- Priority going to those that haven’t spoken at a Citizens’ Forum within the past 12 months
- NO LIMIT on number of speakers per item on the business side of the meeting
- NO LIMIT on the number of items one citizen can address
2013-2015 Charlotte City Council Committee Assignments. Click below to see the committee charge, officers, and members.
Charlotte City Council Environment Committee and 2014 Meeting Schedule
2nd Wednesday of each month at 2:00 p.m.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center
600 East Fourth Street
Meeting Chamber Conference Room CH-14 (basement level), unless otherwise noted.
February 12 March 26 April 9
May 14 June 11 September 10
October 8 November 12 December 10
No July or August Meetings due to Council’s summer schedule.