Thanks to Sustain Charlotte for their leadership on this issue!
Want to make a difference in the transportation options for Char-Meck? Hear a great presentation on urban walkability? Register today for this launch meeting and presentation today – space is limited!
On Thursday, January 9th, at 5:30pm, Sustain Charlotte will launch the Transportation Choices Alliance at UNC Charlotte’s Center City Building. This event will feature a dynamic presentation by author and photographer Julie Campoli, who will highlight excerpts and images from her new book, Made for Walking: Neighborhood Density and Urban Form. Seating is limited to 90 so register now for free!
In July, Sustain Charlotte organized an initial meeting of over 80 nonprofit, government, and business leaders to discuss the idea of organizing a local transportation alliance.
Since that time, a volunteer Steering Committee has selected a name for the alliance, a mission statement, and 2014 priorities based on surveys of nearly 200 citizens representing a broad diversity of local organizations.
The mission of the alliance will be to increase transportation choices and their use throughout the Charlotte region to improve traffic, air quality, public health, mobility, and the economy.
More transportation choices means more safe and convenient opportunities to take a bus, catch a train, ride a bike, or walk. The alliance seeks to:
- Play a critical role in the creation of a more accessible, affordable, and sustainable transportation system in the Charlotte region.
- Represent community interests, educate decision makers and the public, attract media attention and impact funding decisions related to transportation.
- Ensure implementation of the region’s 2030 Transit Plan as well as local plans for enhanced bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.
- Educate the public and decision makers on the benefits that implementing these plans will bring to our region.
The alliance’s priorities in 2014 will be to:
- Grow public awareness of the alliance and build the alliance’s influence by securing individual and organizational members.
- Build public awareness and support for the 2030 Transit Plan.
- Promote linkages between economic benefits, quality of life, and more transportation choices.
Join us for the official launch of this exciting new alliance, as well as a dynamic presentation on walkable communities by photographer Julie Campoli!