October 24th is Food Day, a nationwide celebration and a movement for healthy, affordable, and sustainable food. Combined with the fall harvest season its a great time to “Nourish” the palate, the senses, and the soul. That’s why our October Central Piedmont Sierra Club meeting will include a viewing and discussion of the film “Nourish”.
With beautiful visuals and inspiring stories, the Nourish film traces our relationship to food from a global perspective to personal action steps. Nourish illustrates how food connects to such issues as biodiversity, climate change, public health, and social justice.
- Hosted and narrated by actress Cameron Diaz.
- Features interviews with best-selling author Michael Pollan, sustainable food advocate Anna Lappé, chef Bryant Terry, pediatrician Dr. Nadine Burke, and organic farmer Nigel Walker.
- A companion to the award-winning PBS special Power Shift: Energy + Sustainability.
The meeting starts off at 6:30 PM for snacks, refreshments and a chance to meet and socialize with other Sierra Club members and friends. The business meeting and program will begin at 7:00 PM. Non-members and potential new members are very welcome!
We’ve also invited our endorsed candidates to stop by and share their thoughts and answer questions. For a list of our endorsed candidates see 2012 Sierra Club Endorsements Press Release
Central Piedmont Sierra Club meetings are held the fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm (unless noted in an announcement) in the Mahlon Adams Pavilion at Freedom Park, 2435 Cumberland Avenue, Charlotte, NC, 28203. Cumberland Avenue is off of the 1500 block of East Boulevard.
The program is free and open to the public and you do not have to be a member to attend. Free parking is available.
Bring a friend or two; you’ll be glad you did! See you there…
P.S. To stay informed of local issues and events, you really should consider subscribing to the following free services:
Central Piedmont Sierra Club Group Website: http://charlottesierraclub.org/
- Listserv Updates. On the right hand side of the home page look for “Email Signup for News and Events”. We use this for meeting announcements, hikes, events and other updates.
- Website Updates. A nice feature to stay abreast of all the news is to get an email for website postings. In the right hand area of the website, look for “Email Signup for Website Updates “.
- Facebook. Join us on Facebook at http://goo.gl/WaO5y
Let your friends and neighbors know about this free service of the Central Piedmont Sierra Club. You don’t have to be a member to participate but we would love to have you join the Sierra Club.