Thanks to our environmental partners Clean Water for North Carolina for providing this information and messaging points to make your call or email so very, very easy.
Every call will make a difference! Call or email NOW! You’ll feel great for the rest of the day!
Call or Email the Governor NOW !
lease call Gov. Perdue today and help us continue the tidal wave of calls that began late last week! Here’s why she should veto S820:
- Threats to Water: It legalizes fracking and horizontal drilling, and begins creation of regulatory program–without making sure we have time to fully study the potential harm to our water resources (ground water, wells, water supplies)
- Property Rights Issues: The bill still includes forced pooling, inadequate landowner protections, eminent domain and trespass issues,
- No Local Control: The bill still allows for preemption of local ordinances by towns and counties.
- Economic Illusion: New info (USGS) shows the shale gas resource in NC is only enough to supply 1 -5 years (not 40 years originally thought) and the small # of new jobs could be overshadowed by job losses in tourism, agriculture, and businesses requiring a healthy environment and clean water.
- S820 falls far short of the bar Gov. set with her Executive Order. The Order called for adopting the recommendations of DENR’s report as baseline standards, careful attention to consumer protection and landowner rights, protection of drinking water, and adequate resources for all regulatory agencies to be able to enforce new regulations, yet S820 does not fulfill these high standards for our state. Click here to view Executive Order 118.